Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Green Mountain Reds



It has taken me all day to get this post done. But I won't bore you with the details.



While we were up North in the Green Mountain state of Vermont last weekend, I was already thinking of this Rednesday. This was our main destination.



This is the Cabot Visitor Center in Cabot, Vermont. We did not take the factory tour to watch the cheese being made as we have done on previous trips. We did however, taste nearly all of the samples set out and left with a couple of pounds of cheddar, some cinnamon crusted butter (YUM!) and a case of Cheddar Shake. We can buy most Cabot products here in Massachusetts but not Cheddar Shake. My guys love to put this on their popcorn. So about once a year we make the trip (about a 3-4 hour drive) and stock up.





After getting the goods at Cabot, we headed east to St. Johnsbury where we had hotel reservations. Taking a recommdation from the hotel desk clerk, we headed downtown and enjoyed at delicious dinner at Anthony's
Diner. We brought dessert back to eat at the hotel. I had Maple Walnut Pie and hubby had Fresh Strawberry Pie. I should have taken a picture of that for Rednesday!












Across from Anthony's was this wonderful old train station. It contains a visitor center which unfortunately was closed. I would have loved to go in here.




Just one of the beutiful red barns along the way. I LOVE barns. It's so frustrating for me that I can't get pictures of the lovely things I see while zipping along the highway. I did manage to snap this one out the front window. If you enlarge the picture, you just might find bug splats on the windshield.





And I thought I'd tack on a picture of my newest Pinwheel Sampler blocks since I did sneek some red in both.

I hope you have enjoyed this weeks Reds. Check out all the wonderful Rednesday posts over at It's A Very Cherry World.

7 comments:

Diane H said...

Thanks for the lovely little "vacation". I need to find out more about Reds Wednesdays.

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

Very nice field trip. Enjoyed it very much. That's a really great looking train station, too.

My first Rednesday is at this link:
http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2010/03/desserts-black-forest-cake-honors.html

SueLovesCherries said...

Vermont is so nice! I have some "long lost" relatives in Tunbridge. That train station is awesome!

I love your pinwheels, and congrats on your penny rug, too!

helenabelle said...

Looks like ya'll have a fun trip. Cabot's sounds delicious as does those pies!!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tatterd Tassel

craftyles said...

Hi,
You are so lucky to live in a beautiful area. I love the train station. It sounds like you had a nice trip, and some good food too!

Anonymous said...

Now I'm craving cheddar popcorn! Thanks for the Cabot mention!
~Jacquelyn

Nan said...

Lots of great reds in your area. Nice trip you did there and the cheeses sound wonderful.
Now are you making a quilt with the blocks? I assume so. Your work is very on point and I love your fabric choices.
Nan